Australian Embassy

Police Clearance

How to obtain a police and character clearance report from Australia

Under the Australian Privacy Act, the embassy cannot obtain confidential information on Australian citizens or residents of Australia from any Australian police force. Only the person him/herself may obtain this information directly from the relevant state, territory or federal police force.

Australians abroad often need police or character certificates for such purposes as court requirements, residence permission or securing employment. Australian Citizens requiring such certificates should contact the appropriate Australian Federal, State or Territory Police Force.

For more information, see