Australian Embassy

Consular services


If you are an Australian in urgent need of assistance:

Consular Duty Officer (24 hour): +61 2 6261 3305

or within Australia only: 1300 555 135 (toll free - local call cost only)

Embassy in Beirut telephone: +961 1 960600

E-mail: [email protected]


Australians can no longer register their travel:

Smartraveller has the latest, authoritative travel advice so you can be informed and prepared about overseas travel. Subscribe to receive travel advice updates - by simply supplying your name and email address – straight to your inbox.

In a crisis, Smartraveller will activate a crisis page on its website. It will make it easier for you or someone you know to contact the Australian Government if you need help. It will supplement the consular emergency hotline.

Visit to subscribe or connect with Smartraveller on Facebook and Twitter.

The service we provide to Australians in difficulty overseas is not changing. 

As always, we encourage Australians overseas to stay in touch with friends and family and let them know you’re safe.


We welcome your comments on our services. Both positive and negative feedback helps us to identify areas that need improvement or where changes would make sense. Sharing your experiences may also help other Australians to avoid difficulties overseas and understand what level of assistance we can provide. You can comment on our services here.


Travel Information for Australians

Need information on visiting or living in Lebanon?  Read the Australian Government’s Travel Advice to Lebanon

and remember to take out travel insurance!


Consular Assistance to Australian Citizens

The Australian Government, through its consular officers, endeavours to provide assistance to Australian citizens within their limits. Australians who choose to travel overseas should be as prepared and self-reliant as possible. Our Consular Service Charter  outlines what the Embassy and its consular staff can and can't do to assist you.

Consular services for permanent residents of Australia will be limited to crisis situations, including government assisted evacuations when this is provided to Australian citizens.

If you are a dual national in your country of other nationality, we may be further limited in the assistance we can provide to you.


Consular Privacy Collection Statement

Providing consular assistance to Australians overseas is a core function of the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT). In order to provide effective consular assistance, DFAT is required to collect, use and disclose an individuals’ personal information.
The privacy of consular clients and their families is a fundamental aspect of managing consular cases. This statement outlines how DFAT collects, uses, discloses and stores personal information related to consular cases in accordance with the Privacy Act 1988. This notice is provided pursuant to Australian Privacy Principle 5.


Useful Links – Living Overseas


International Driving Permits

An International Driver's Permit is not a licence – you must also have a current Australian licence. To obtain an International Driving Permit (IDP), please contact the relevant IDP authority in your state:

          New South Wales



          South Australia

          Western Australia


          Northern Territory


Returning to Australia

Handy information for Australians or residents returning from a holiday or moving back to Australia. See here for information on taking cats and dogs to Australia.