Australian Embassy

PC8 - Accompanying documentation - Child





If the child is born in Australian, provide his full Australian Birth Certificate (neither an extract nor a commemorative certificate are acceptable)

If the child is born overseas, you will also need to provide the child’s foreign birth certificate translated by a sworn translator registered with the Syndicate of Sworn Translators. (If the sworn translator were not registered in the Syndicate of Sworn Translators, the document would then need to be authenticated by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Emigrants in order to be accepted by the Embassy).



If the child is born in Australian, provide his full Australian Birth Certificate (neither an extract nor a commemorative certificate are acceptable) to prove Australian citizenship provided he was born before 20 August 1986.


If the child was born in Australia after 20 August 1986, you must also provide one of the following documents: 

The child’s Australian passport issued on/after 1 January 2000 that was valid for 2 years or more; or

One parent's original full birth certificate issued by the Australian Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages (RBDM) before 20 August 1986; or

One parent's Australian passport issued on/after 20 August 1986 that was valid for at least two years and at the time of your birth; or

One parent's original Australian citizenship certificate detailing their acquisition of citizenship before your birth.

If the child is born outside Australian, you must provide his Australian citizenship by descent certificate.



Please check your child’s birth certificate carefully to see how both parents’ names are recorded on the certificate. If either parent is currently using a different name to what is recorded on the child’s birth certificate, that parent must provide a name change document to explain the difference – eg. marriage certificate, death certificate, divorce decree or change of name certificate. 


Parental Consent

A child's passport application should include the written consent of each person who has parental responsibility* for the child, or an Australian court order permitting the child to have an Australian travel document, travel internationally, or live or spend time with a person outside Australia.

*Parental responsibility


For the purpose of obtaining a passport, parental responsibility is defined in section 11(5) of the Australian Passports Act 2005. Generally, people with parental responsibility are the parents named on the child's full birth certificate; their parental responsibility can only be removed by an Australian court. In some cases, other people or entities (such as welfare agencies) are considered to have parental responsibility.

If persons with parental responsibility are in different locations when the child's passport application is lodged, the non-lodging parent can provide written consent through a passport office, Australia Post or an Australian diplomatic or consular mission overseas.

Each person's consent must be witnessed as per the instructions on the application form. The witness cannot be related to the child by birth or marriage or be in a de facto relationship with either of the child's parents or live at the same address. A different person may witness the signature of each person giving consent. The child's guarantor may witness the consent.

If you are unable to obtain the consent of all persons with parental responsibility for your child, you can request that the child's passport application be considered under the special circumstances provisions in passports legislation.

Child passport applications that do not include full consent take longer to process. Normal turnaround times do not apply. Priority service cannot be provided until the application has been assessed and approved for passport issue. As there is no guarantee the application will be successful, it is advisable not to make firm overseas travel plans until you know whether a passport will be issued.



  • A valid and original personal identity document (Passport or Identity Document)
  • an original document confirming the lodging parent's current residential address or a certificate of residency issued by the Mukhtar translated into English and authenticated by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Emigrants.



You need to provide two identical color photos that are no more than six months old. The Australian passport photos are different to Lebanese standard size photos. The images must meet particular requirements. We recommend you check the requirements before you get your photos taken and ensure the person taking the photo understands these requirements. 

Please do not attach the photos to your application form as this can damage them if not attached correctly.




Your Guarantor/Referee must endorse one photo as follows: “This is a true photo of the applicant’s full name”, and then sign it below.

Please note that the guarantor’s signature at the back of the applicant’s photo must be the same as per section 11 of the form. The Embassy will not accept an application where the guarantor has signed fully on section 11 and then just initialled at the back of the applicant\'s photograph.

A guarantor must be a person aged 18 or older who has known the child for at least 12 months or since his birth and possesses a current Australian passport issued with at least two years validity or be currently employed in one of the approved professional or occupational groups. Check the list of approved non-Australian guarantor/referee


Normal processing time is up to ten weeks from the time your application is received provided that all the required documentation and suitable photographs are submitted with the application.


PC8 Checklist
Passport Application Fees